February 20, 2003
Here is a small gallery of my Unreal 2 level design work – nine shots are from the Atlantis level, one from an U2 XMP map, and two from the tutorial mission. Almost all 3D modelling work was done by me, textures were created by Dawid Michalczyk (Atlantis), the rest of the texture artists and me. The Desert XMP mission was created by Scott Dalton, using some leftover models I had created for a discarded Unreal 2 mission. The tutorial level was based on earlier work by Grayson Edge.
February 18, 2003
(And other neat stuff). This article reveals all Atlantis secrets from Unreal 2.
Available during all interludes:
- Secret Button #1: In the briefing room go to the right side of the holotank. There’s a hidden button on the right side of the table, between the table side and the wall. Press it to get a Seagoat holo.
- Secret Button #2: There’s a secret button in the the Armory, right next to the door. Crouch and look up at the table. If you push the button you get Isaak saying “Flashbang” and an EMP burst. This is an inside joke more than anything else, Isaak used to describe the concussion grenade as “It’s basically a flashbang[...]“, and we got a great deal of entertainment from using that word in every possible context. The line got changed, but the voice file stayed.
- Secret Button #3: Go past Ne’Ban’s cabin into the back hallway and jump into the open hatch in the corner of the hallway. If you look back towards head of the ship there’s a button, press it to get a few evil Lincoln and Grant heads laughing at you. In case you’re wondering, Grant Roberts is a co-worker and friend (and the voice of Ne’Ban!), I copied that picture of the Legend webpage one late night.
- Seagoat License Plate: You have to cheat for this. If you got behind Dalton’s locker in his cabin you can see a Seagoat license plate attached to the back of the locker.
- Seagoats: in all interludes starting with Obolus the Seagoat is hiding somewhere on the ship. If you find him he will run away twice, after that you can use him to get a dialog line from Dalton.
- Photographs: After each completed mission you get a new photograph of the planet that you just visited, it’ll be attached to the big screen in Dalton’s cabin.
- Artifacts: Whenever you find a piece of the artifact it will appear on the table in the back of Isaak’s armory.
Only available in specific interludes:
- PostM00 (after Avalon): to get the secret Lincoln briefing you have to talk to the hidden Seagoat before Aida gives her briefing. Go to the upper deck, past the player cabin and open the hatch opposite to Ne’Ban’s cabin door. Talk to the Seagoat inside and reply with “Spam”, “Spam”, “Spam”, “Humbug” (an homage to the Ultima 6 cheat). When Aida gives her briefing you’ll see Abe Lincoln doing the distress call instead of Danny Miller.
- PostM04 (before Obolus): When Ne’Ban does his briefing there’s 12 pictures that get displayed in rapid succession over the holotank. To see them clearly you can either cheat (“slomo 0.1″) or open the editor and check out the textures (they’re in MattT.utx).
- Unreal 2 Dance Party: To access the hidden U2 dance party you have to use the console or start U2 from command line. If you’re in-game: open the console, enable cheats and enter “open atlantis?missioncompleted=83″. From command line: start U2 with “unreal2.exe atlantis?missioncompleted=83″.
- Birthday Interlude: Do the same as above, but use “missioncompleted=110276″ instead (Feb 11 is my birthday ). You start in the player’s cabin and are treated to a bunch of Seagoat and Lincoln balloons. The interlude is empty otherwise.
Bonus Secret: Tutorial
- Nali Shooting Range: There’s a hidden shooting range in the tutorial level that let’s you mow down Nali. Here’s how you unlock it: in the obstacle course (where Raff tests your movement skills) there’s a fenced in area on the right side with a few boxes in it. If you stand on top of the mantling block you can jump over theose fences. Walk into the open box to find a secret Grant head, the game will announce that the secret shooting range has been unlocked. Proceed to weapons training and complete all tasks. At the end of the grenade launcher tutorial don’t go to Raff but walk over to the fourth shooting range on your left, which will now open.